Internet shopping has transformed the way UK consumers buy goods. And whilst buying online from UK retailers can save you lots of time and hopefully a few pounds, too, buying from US-based shops and stores can quite literally save you a small fortune, especially with today's favourable exchange rates.
So, what do you need to know before buying your goods from an American website? Here's a brief summary of the advantages and the disadvantages..
1. Many items are cheaper to buy in the USA, and with the current exchange rate, you'll get even more dollars for your pound!
2. Huge variety of goods - no matter what you're looking to buy, the Americans probably sell it. Just make sure you get your sizes/weight conversions right. See below for help with conversions.
1. You'll probably have to wait longer for delivery of your goods.
2. You may have to pay hefty shipping charges, so always make sure you take these costs into account when calculating your savings. Click here for a guide to postal charges from America.
3 Some items, such as DVD and electrical goods, use different formats - so make sure you check you'll be able to use your goods in the UK.
4. Weight and size differences.
5. Often items may arrive without VAT being charged, please note that this is technically illegal as VAT should be charged. VAT payments are controlled by HM Revenue & Customs - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/