The active ingredient is tyrosine which synthesises the production of the skin pigment melanin. The cells in the epidermis are enveloped by the pigment producing a tan. Other chemicals and elements such as vitamin E and copper are also involved in this reaction and are contained in the lotions.
Other than the products containing tyrosine there are other reasons for using tan accelerators:
• The products moisturise your skin and keep it healthy while supplying nutrients that help a tan develop.
• Moist skin tans far better and more effectively than dry skin. This can result in fewer visits to the salon.
• The heat and fans, characteristic of sun beds, dry the skin and using a tan accelerator will counteract these affects
• The skin is supplemented with proteins that aid pigmentation naturally.
• These products help retain UV stimulated melanin longer, extending the tanning process well after the session
• Some tan accelerators contain antioxidants that curb the development of fine lines and wrinkles